For as long as I can remember, using the radio has always been
so common for me. From being a little
girl and listening to the radio with my dad while he would work in his shop, to
know being 20 years old and listening to the radio in the car while I drive. I
do believe that the use of radios is not as common as it was when my great
grandparents were around, however I do still see my grandparents as well as
other elder folks use the radio as a source for their news. Chapter 2 of the textbook
states: “the 1930 penetration of the radio sets in American households reached
40%, then approximately doubled over the next 10 years, passing 90% by 1947.” This
means that when our great grandparents were young, the radio was the most
common and “exciting” type of technology they had. The radio has evolved
greatly since 1947, and I hope that it continues to evolve.
Hey, I loved your post! It genuinely reminded of when I was also a little girl waiting to hear my favorite song on the radio. Even listening to my favorite cd's on my radio made me so happy. Now everything in regards to news, music, etc. can be accessed through what everyone's basically attached to (phones.)
ReplyDeleteRadio is definitely been in my family also at a age. I can relate the experience with my grandparents while cooking and relaxing outside afterwards. The old style radios that only had one knob and that bent antenna were the coolest. Always trying to find that sweet spot of clarity for that certain radio station was a nice reminder of how I grew up with radio. Thanks for your blog and a good memories of radio and family.
ReplyDeleteI love your take on this! I haven't heard so many people talk about the radio so it's good that there's people who still appreciate it! I can totally agree and see where you're coming from about the essentials of the radio, it's timeless. Radios honestly need to be appreciated a little more for basically being the only sense of entertainment in the car, before aux. I do agree with you that it's evolved so much, but honestly, i'm not sure if we'd see radio going farther than it already is, unfortunately that nostalgia that radio has is being shifted away by aux cords and apple Spotify music. I'm hoping something interesting can come out if it though and that the radio continues to develop!
ReplyDeleteLydia, I really enjoyed your take on this. When I think of Radio it immediately brings me a sense of nostalgia even though I use it practically everyday in the car. Personally, I am a big fan of music. So before I had mobile devices and streaming, I would enjoy listening to music on the radio with my family.
ReplyDelete- Nicholas Rister