Skip to main content

Blog #2: Personal Computers

As popular as they are today, personal computers have not always been a common item in most households. Although we grew up being familiar with types of technologies like computers, in chapter 11 of the textbook states that PC’s were not considered a necessity until 2006. “In 1996, a home computer was considered by most a luxury item. By 2006, 51% of the adult public considered a home computer a necessity (Taylor, Funk, & Clark, 2006).”

When I read this I was shocked because I honestly do not remember a time in my life without using a computer, but my parents do. Because it was once considered a luxury item, my dad (who did not grow up with many luxuries) said he did not use a computer until he was a grown man. Fast forward to now, he uses huge, expensive computers everyday while working and he was even able to purchase Surface Laptops for my mom, sister, and I. He has his own as well (provided by his work) and he sometimes asks for my help when making a PowerPoint presentation, or even something more basic like Microsoft Word. I admit that at times I get annoyed and think to myself “how does my 50 year old successful father not understand Word? They teach us this in computer class in school?” But then I remember that it was taught in school for my generation, but not for his.

Throughout the years that personal computers have changed, the computers we choose to use also are starting to define us. In the scholarly journal I chose to read, it was said that the personalities of Mac users and PC users are quite different from one another. “The “Mac” personality was represented by a spokesperson who appeared youthful, cool, and laid back, whereas the “PC” personality was depicted as staid, conventional, and something of a “fuddy‐duddy.” I found this kind of sad because we automatically “judge” others by what they use, even computers.

Personal computers have been essential in my everyday life as a college student and although they were not for past generations, I am confident that future generations will use personal computers, even ones that are more advanced than the ones we use today (which is pretty awesome!)




Nevid, J. S., & Pastva, A. (2014). “I’m a Mac” versus “I’m a PC”: Personality Differences between Mac and PC Users in a College Sample. Psychology & Marketing, 31(1), 31–37. https://doi-org.libweb.lib.utsa.edu/10.1002/mar.20672


Comments

  1. Hey Lydia,
    I loved reading your blog because I loved that you used your own voice and I felt as if you were telling me a story even though you were talking about computers! I find it funny how you mentioned that your dad is successful but still asks questions about Microsoft Word because that is how my dad is too. I had to teach him how to use zoom when quarantine happened lol! Great job on your post. -Regina Deason

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my home a computer was a luxury as well, but my kids can’t relate to that. Since the pandemic, my husband and I have both been working from home on our own laptops and our kids as well while school was in session. I can’t imagine not having one anymore. It makes life a bit easier! Easy on Pops, he probably thinks you’re a tech genius when you unplug and plug the router back in. Ha! - Savannah Manis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I appreciated your post and felt very similar to you about having your parents become reliant on you to teach them about computer stuff, even though it has been common knowledge for some things our whole lives. It's interesting to me that in such a short amount of time, we became reliant on a technology that was considered a luxury not long beforehand. It makes me think on what the next thing we will rely on, later in life.

    - Cynthia Lopez

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment